Monday 14 July 2014

Let sets some goals

Hello friends,

Today I am going to be setting some goals for myself. In my old personal blog that is something I did on a weekly basis but I think I will be doing it once a month. 

One of my goals this month was to find a place for my children to be taken care of.  If you've read my last blog daycares you will know that the daycare in which my children were had to close the baby room due to the fact that there was no babies except for my little guy. I have posted that I was looking for a home daycare  that was hopefully subsidized ( unfortunately there isn't any here). I was however contacted by an ECE student that was looking to take care of a few children at her home for the summer months. I accepted her offer I still have to go meet her and see the home before I am completely satisfied with having her watch my children but she did answer a slue of questions from me and passed with flying colours.  I have contacted all daycares in the area and none could take my youngest, I did call the daycare where my children were today and have told them that if they did have enough babies en-roll into the daycare and they could take my youngest to give me a call and see if I have found a daycare yet and if not I would put my children back in. ( I realize I missed several punctuations and I have run on sentences, I suck at grammar but I try).

Today I am going to use the mnemonic acronym S.M.A,R.T. to set a few goals these goals will be the goals I will set and keep until the end of August ( since we are already half way through july)


What does S.M.A.R.T. stand for ?

S- Specific
In order for a goal to be specific you will use the rest of the acronym along with establishing the following 5 w's as well. 


What: What is for what is your primary goal. Once you have established WHAT the goal is you can add all of the rest of the SMART acronym and the rest of the W's that you missed. You also may have one vague goal that has smaller goals within it. 

Why: Why is this your goal? What will you accomplish? What are the benefits of this goal? I find this important to set as this will be a part of your motivation to accomplish the goal. 

Who: The who is for you to establish your support system and who else is involved in your plan of action.  This is important because it is important to know who is there with you. Some people say that you shouldn't tell anyone what your goals are, other say it is important to. I say do what feels good for you. Some people thrive with having secret goals other thrive with having a great support system.

Where: Where are you going to accomplish this goal. This can be anywhere and in multiple locations. 

Which:  Which obstacles may you have? Which are the requirements for you to get through this goal?. Knowing what obstacles you may face before you start a goal will help you set solution to overcome these challenges ahead of time. You will never know all the challenges you will face but have a solution to some ahead of time will help you stay on track. 

M- Measurable

The reason a goal needs to be measurable is to ensure that you are staying on track.  For a goal to be measurable it needs to have " check-points" . Some times a measurable goal will state, How much or how many  things you have improved ( i.e. you can now do 5 push-ups instead of one, you can now type 30 wpm instead of 10). Another question you should be able to answer if your goal is measurable is: When will I know it is accomplished? ( i.e. I want to be able to do 10 push-ups, I want to write 50 wpm.) 

A- Attainable ( Achievable)

This part of goal setting is to make sure that you aren't setting the bar to high or to low. You need to make sure to be able to attain your goal that you have all the resources you need (i.e. Are you financially able to sustain your goal? Do you have the support you need to achieve your goal?) You must be able to sustain your goals in order to achieve them. 

R- Relevant

Why do you want to accomplish this goal? Is this goal going to change something in your life?  You need to establish the why of this goal. Some people will say that your goals needs to be orientated not only for yourself but others. I believe that if you want to be able to crack a coconut on your head just because you want to then please do. Goals are personal and they should be relevant to yourself ( whether for fun or because it will make you a better person for someone else). 

T- Time Specific

Now I know that this one you are supposed to give yourself a specific time line. A date or an specific amount ( i.e. by december 4th 2014 orin six month from now).


So what is my goal for this month?

My big general goal is to run a 5k. ( now lets make it SMART)


I am going to ( by saying going to I am more likely to accomplish this goal then saying I would like to saying I would like to gives you an excuse to not do it) run a 5 km race in Ottawa on October 5th  ( running for the cure: Breast cancer)  in under 30 minutes by doing the following: eating healthy by planning healthy meals and keeping a food diary, doing yoga a minimum of 30 minutes 3 times a week ( Monday's, Wednesday's and Fridays), Running three times a week ( Tuesday's, Thursday's, Saturday's) and taking rest days on Sundays. I will also do weight training 3 times a week ( on the same days I do yoga).

I will have support from my husband, familly members ( mom, dad, sis, bro) and by two of my friends ( JO and brit).

That is my goaby BIG goal I will probably still have this goal  the end of august ( obvs my goal is to be able to this by ICtober 5th ).

My other non SMART goals are:

Take 30 minutes a day to work on knitting ( I want to make my own pattern for a grouch hat for my eldest son's Halloween outing this year and do a bit of stash busting) I managed to get a bit of knitting every day now I just have to stop buying yarn :S

I also want to take 30 minutes a day to work on the blog. ( I want to get all of the information on one blog)

And that is it for now.

I hope that for the ones trying to set goals that the SMART acronym helped. I am not a teacher and I know that my BIG although it seems SMART to me might not be to some of you reading this. I gave you the SMART acronym to help you with goal setting and I hope it does.


Love,

Moi

No comments:

Post a Comment