Friday 13 February 2015

Bean Box Review

Bean box

What is bean box?

Bean Box is a monthly subscription box for coffee beans. There is an option for two boxes both valued at 20$. In one you will receive 4x 1.8oz bags of beans ( gives about 16 cups of coffee depending on strength preference) and the other is one 12 oz bag of coffee ( this one also has the option to ship twice a month for 34$). There is also a decaf option.

You can also purchase a bag of coffee beans in the store if you particularly liked one of the samples.


I love how there is a note with my name in this box, It gives the box a personal touch. I also like that the box is only big enough for the coffee, That makes it less wasteful ( I keep my boxes to re-use when I need to ship things out that are too big to fit in envelopes).
All the bags are puffed up when you receive them. Beans create CO2 after they are roasted this is perfectly normal. The carbon dioxide is what keeps the moisture and oxygen out which keeps the coffee fresh. (plus opening them is so fun the smells that come out the bag just entices you to hurry up and drink it already)
This is the entire content of the box except for the little note. 
There is a paper with a discount code on it. This one is NEWYEAR2015 and it is good until the end of February 2015 you can get 15% off on full bags of coffee, gift orders and subscriptions. 

The box also comes with a chocolate ( I won't lie I wish there was more then one)

The other paper tells you how to "Brew like you mean it". I really liked that since well I don't normally have beans. I have a keurig and I just buy the little cups and that's it. 
On the other side of the paper there is a description of the coffee company and about the coffee you are going to try. 

I like that each bag is dates as to when the beans were toasted which let's me know that they are fresh. In the front of the coffee bag there is a description of the coffee. The description is the opinion of the company that produced the coffee and from the taster's of Bean Box.

Longshoreman's Daughter Coffee Roaster (Flavor Ethiopian Yirgacheffe)
Description from the bag and card:
Hint's of orange, ginger, berry, and mild chocolate.

Very sweet, lively taste with hints or orange,  ginger, berry and mild chocolate. Round acidity, syrupy body. Sourced from Dam Co-op in Ethiopia. ( Longhsoreman's Daughter)

Straight from the birthplace of coffee. We never imaniged great coffee could taste like tea.  ( Bean Box)

I loved this coffee. It was my favourite one of them. I loved the flavouring of the fruits in this. It truly does taste like tea. This is one that I would definitely buy.



Herkimer Coffee ( Flavour Drip blend)
Description from card and bag:

Hints of cherry, caramelized sugar and chocolate.

Soft, refreshing light acidity with a clean finish. Hint of cherry with deeply caramelized sugar and chocolate. Velvet mouth feel and weight. Directly sourced from El Cedral and El Cieleto  in  Honduras.  ( Herkimer Coffee)

Chocolate, chocolate, cherry. Try this roast without milk or sugar. It brings its own. ( bean Box)

I didn't mind this coffee. It was a bit more on the stronger side but with a bit of milk and sugar it was fine. I think that my hubby would of like this one if he tried it.  

Light House Roaster's ( Roaster's Choice is the flavour)
Description on the bag and card;
Dark, Bold taste that engages the palate.

A full-bodied blend of Ethiopian, Sumatran and Latin high-grown Arabicas. Rich and complex, Roaster's Choice touches the whole palate and stays clean. Our signature coffee. ( Light House Roaster's)

A bold roast with a real kick, but polished and refined like a gentleman. ( Bean Box)

I personally didn't like this coffee but my hubby did. This coffee was a bit too strong for me. I won't deny it I prefer the sweeter and lighter coffee's.

Kuma Coffee ( Flavour Nilson Lopez Colombia)
Description from card and bag:
Features drinking chocolate, marzipan, toffee, fig and pomegranate.

With taste notes of drinking chocolate, marzipan, toffee,fig and pomegranate, we think of the Nilson Lopez microlot like a beautiful piece of layered cake. Everyone wants their dessert.  ( Kuma)

With flavours as decadent and varied as a box of chocolates, this sweet cup is the total package. Go ahead, introduce it to your mother. 

This one was another of my favourite coffee. It is good on its own or with milk and sugar. I actually drank this one after supper as a dessert. Delicious,this is one that I would also buy. 
Coffee description card
Brew card

Final thoughts

I loved this box. I am not an "experienced" coffee drinker but I love the experience that this box has brought me. 
I never thought of drinking coffee as an experience and this box brought just that for. The smell when you first open a bag of coffee beans that just brings you a hint of excitement of what you are going to try. The different smells that come with them, I never knew coffee was so diverse when it came to flavouring it with fruits ( I typically just drink hazelnut and vanilla). I also loved the process of grinding it, seeing it change into what will become a good cup of coffee.  I brewed mine in my Keurig and I loved it, I loved the whole experience of this box. 
This is a box that I fully recommend buying. Whether you are an avid coffee drinker or not.

The customer service for this box was also exceptional. I e-mailed them because I didn't have my tracking number or my box. They replied promptly with my tracking information and also told me that for some reason my boxed got bounced around for some reason. They also told me that if I hadn't received my box that they would gladly send me another one. 

This box will bring you excitement, fun and joy and a whole new way of looking at coffee. 

Yours truly, 

ME


No comments:

Post a Comment