Sunday 1 February 2015

30 day spending freeze if OVER.

Hello peeps,

If you have been following this blog you will know that I had taken up two challenges for the month of January that lasted 30 days. I was posting on a weekly basis but I took the time to post this one at a later date since the challenges were over soon.

The one challenge that I took that I will be talking about on this blog will be about ny 30 day spending freeze. That's right, I went ( or at least tried my best) 30 days not spending any more money then I needed too. Anything that wasn't on my grocery list wasn't allowed to be bought, no buying snacks at work or taking extra cabs.

The first week I spent 15$ that I wasn't supposed to ( read this post). The second week was great  I didn't spend anything extra ( read this post). .

For week 3 here is how it went. I was having a great week of fighting all the urges to spend money and then Friday happened. I brought my debit card with me because I had to do groceries that day and one of the deli meats that I was keeping my eye on in the hopes that it would go on sale or discounted for 50% off just happened to be 50% off that day. I had packed a light lunch and so I bought it that cost me 4.24$. I also bought an extra bag of pepperettes ( 9.99 on sale) and 4 things of pancotta also 50% off ( 2.25 each after the discount=9$) besides those expenses I didn't buy anything else that was on the list so week three I overspent 23.23$.

Week 4 I also didn't spend a penny extra in my last week of the challenge. All in all I didn't do as bad as I thought. I won't deny it though it was hard. Some days I just wanted to buy things, not because I needed to but because I wanted too. I realized through out this experience that a lot of my spending that was stopping me from saving money and paying off debts were on little things that I really didn't need. Like the pack of meat I bought because I wanted to try it, along with the 50-100$ extra that I would spend on groceries not because it was necessary but just because I wanted to have it. It was an extra thing on hand that I had to eat when I was bored. I realize now that our grocery bills can stay low. Yes, my husband has spent a few more dollars this month because he got all the good sales. I think ( even if it was my turn to do groceries) that spending money on extra items you actually need when they are on sale is fine. I also think that yes, once in awhile go ahead and spoil yourself with a little something but it doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

Although my spending freeze is over I will definitely watch what I spend money on and continue to look at all the progress I have made. I have also continued on my 52 week money challenge by continuing to put what ever amount of money I could aside each month ( anywhere from 10-50$) I cannot wait to see how much money I will have saved at the end of the year.


For now that is all. I will talk about the 30 day yoga challenge and how I felt with that.

Nighty, night

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment