Saturday 20 September 2014

Kiwi orange bread

Kiwi Orange Bread

Ingredients

3 Cups Flour
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda


1 cup of butter ( I use salted butter and melt a bit)
1 cup white granulated sugar

5 kiwis ( Peeled and mashed yields approximately 2 cups)
The juices and skin of one orange ( grated yields about 1/2 cups)

1/3 cup of water
1 Tablespoon of chia seeds ( I used the ground up type)


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix the chia seeds and the water together in a small bowl let set.

In a bowl mix the first three ingredients ( flour, baking soda and baking powder). Set aside. 

Mix the butter and the sugar together in a separate bowl until well blended. ( I do it by hand but by all means use an electric beater if you have one)

Once the sugar and butter are combined add the fruits and chia seed mix and  blend everything  together. 

Make a hole ( or a well) in the middle of the flour mix. Pout the fruit mixture in the middle and mix all the ingredients until well blended ( try not to mix it for to long as it will make your bread harder)

Grease some baking pans. I used a 4" by 8" pan and a multi-sectional pan ( 2" by 4" there is 8 section in the pan) Fill each pan about half way with batter. 

Cook for 15-30 minutes depending on the size of your pans or until a toothpick comes clean after poking it into the center of the bread.

Let cool take out of pans and enjoy.



I came up with this recipe when I had kiwis and an orange becoming a a little too ripe. I decided this year that I wanted to stop wasting food in the house. I used to throw out a lot of vegetables and fruits out every week which adds up to a lot of money. Now I buy flour and butter on sale so I can always bake cookies and breads and good knows what more recipes I can come up with. 

This bread is just a right amount of sweet and really moist. You will mostly taste the orange over the kiwi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment