Saturday 20 September 2014

Bell pepper spinach soup



Bell Pepper and Spinach soup

This is yet another recipe that was created because I had food that was about to spoil in the fridge. I like to buy the packs of mini bell peppers at the grocery but often I don't eat them all on time. We also tend to throw out a lot of spinach ( We try to eat healthy but a lot of time we don't eat enough of the produce on time). 

I decided to make soup because it was a chillier day and I though a good soup would make for a good warm-up. 


Ingredients

360g of Bell peppers( I used Red, Orange and Yellow peppers) 
( Once you weigh them, de-seed them)
1/2 of a large onion ( chopped)
3 tablespoons Olive oil 
1 1/2 Chopped Garlic ( I use already chopped jarred Garlic) 
1 teaspoon  Oregano( fresh or dry )  
1 teaspoon Thyme ( Fresh or dry) 
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
900 ml vegetable broth
1/2 cup of rice ( White or Brown)
4 cups of baby spinach 


In a pot cook the onions and peppers together with the garlic, oregano, thyme and cinnamon. Cook until the onions turn clear.

Add the broth and rice into the pot and let it simmer for 30 minutes. 

In a blender pour 2 cups of the contents of the pot with two cups of spinach ( the whole pot should yield about 4 cups) hit the liquefy button and voilĂ  it is ready to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment