Friday 16 January 2015

The de-cluttering of my bedroom

Hello Everyone, 

I just wanted to update everyone on my goal to living frugally and one of those was to clean and organize. If some of you have read some of my other post you will know that I live in a small two bedroom apartment and space is sparse. That said here is the journey of me cleaning my room ( don't mind the mess). I only took pictures of the two places that were the worst in my room so here it goes.

My dresser

Now, this part of my room was one of the worst. My clothes was pretty much just thrown in there god only knows how wrinkly my clothes constantly came out of there just to be put back the same way. My underwear, sock and bra drawer were just as bad I could never find what I wanted because everything was buried. The top of my dresser had two baskets on top of it which were just loaded to the top with towels and facecloths that we barely used. 

So what did I do to clean this part of my room. I took everything that was on or in it out and off. I gave it a good clean and then I started the real hard work. I folded, sorted and decided what I was keeping and what I getting rid of. I also decided to try and place my shirts by dark, colours, under shirts and exercise clothes. The plastic bag that you see in both pictures are all the scrubs I am keeping in case I decide to go back into the field of work which I studied in. 

One of my drawers holds all of my underwear and my bathing suits. To organize it I took all of my underwear and decided to roll them up, in the process I got rid of the ones that had holes and were stained ( I am a woman I bleed and leaks happen) . This makes them easier to stack up on one another and makes my drawer look so much neater, with the room left over I put the bathing suits that I decided to keep neatly folded beside them. 

My sock and bra drawer got a similar treatment. I got rid of all the socks I knew had holes in them or didn't have a match to go with them. My bras got the exact kind of treatment. I placed my bras neatly on one side in a row so I could see all of them without having to dig through  the heaping pile I have collected and the socks were put beside them.

For the baskets. I took out all of the towels and went through those too. All of them that could be used for rags were put with the rest of the rags. I also got rid of a few towels that we just didn't use because they were so old. We also had our dish clothes in that pile and they were moved to a newly organized spot underneath the kitchen sink.


The Corner



Now if you can imagine the bits of pictures you see above isn't the complete mess that was in this corner. This corner is where everything and anything was put. from clean clothes to dirty clothes and everything in between.  To clean this corner the first thing I did is I grabbed all the clothes that was thrown in it and put in it in the laundry. The bit of clothing you still that still remains in the clean picture is that of my hubby. The one on the boxes are pants that I need to get hemmed once my 30 day spending freeze is over. 

I also went through my plastic containers, sorted through and gave away some of my yarn. I also went through all the paper work that I had laying around. I also got rid of the smaller plastic container. I tool all of the items in it and put it in the longer one at the end of my shelves ( I went through all my plastic containers and organized them.). I then took the small plastic container and removed it completely from my shelf which allowed me to put the boxes of my big yarn project down on the shelf instead of the longer plastic container ( my pile of junk was pretty darn high).

The other parts of my room that were cleaned were all my plastic containers as mentioned above. I have two long tall ones and one tiny one that got moved. I was able to completely clean one of the large drawers from the plastic organizer. I also filled one with all of my products that I need to use up before buying or making more. 

I also cleaned out the top part of my pantry which held cleaning supplies, a printer that we no longer used, and several dishes and glasses that we never used ( in 6 years). I still have the shelves to organize and to do inventory of. 

I also cleaned underneath the kitchen sink which was filled with old cleaning products that we never used, or half emptied cleaning products that we forgot about. I put the small plastic organization container that was in my bedroom and put it underneath the sink and  put all of our dish clothes that were found in with the towels in my bedroom underneath. Now, we find all the cleaning supplies that we need. 

In the kids room, I went through all of their clothes and got rid of what didn't fit the boys and put in a rubber maid container the items of clothing that I can pass down from my oldest to my youngest. I also got rid of all the baby blankets, and receiving blankets that we had since we had so many of them and no longer use them.  I also went through the boys toys that are all in the living and got rid of some since we got a bunch of new ones for Christmas. It is hard for me to get rid of their toys because they still play with all of them and a bunch of them I know they will play with when they are a bit older. The biggest toys I got rid of was a mega blocks rid on fire fighting truck which my mom wants so it is going to her home. We are also giving away a ride along zebra that turns into a scooter and a 4 wheeler. Those are the ones that take the most room and that we have no space for. Also the children often can't play with these as they make a lot of noise and we live on the top floor of our building.

I still have a lot to go through but some of the things are for summer. We still haven't decided whether or not we will be getting rid of the stroller come summer, because it all depends on how long my youngest son will be able to walk ( we don't have a car). I also still want to go through the kids stuffed toys and the rest of my kitchen. 


For now that is all the news of my journey to living a more frugal life ( although I think everyone should do this on a regular basis even if you're not living frugally).

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment